Why Are Lips Different from Other Skin Areas?
Lips can range in color from very light pink to brown. Unlike the rest of your skin, which is made up of 16 layers, your lips are only made up of three to five. This makes the tissue thinner and more delicate which allows the color from the underlying blood vessels to show through. Therefore, the color of your skin plays a role in the color of your lips. The lighter your skin color, the lighter your lips and the more prominent the blood vessels will appear.
Let’s deep dive into the anatomy of skin on our lips. Skin usually has three separate layers: the stratum corneum, the epidermis and the dermis. The protective stratum corneum is the outer layer that we can see, the epidermis is the layer of skin underneath it, and the dermis is the lower-most layer. The cells of the stratum corneum are basically dead, and they protect the body from the harsh outer environment. The epidermis is mostly responsible for producing new cells. Melanocytes, the cells that produce melanin are also found in the epidermis. Melanin, as you might know, is the pigment that gives us our particular skin color once it is exposed to the sun.
Lips, however, are devoid of melanocytes, so there is no melanin to mask the red color of the blood vessels that crowd the dermis. The dermis is especially visible when it comes to lips because the stratum corneum here is extremely thin. Similarly, the epidermis doesn’t feature much in the anatomy of the lips. Thus, the bright color of blood gets directly transposed into the soft pinkish-red color of lips. As we can see here, the thickness of the skin area on the lips is one of the causes that makes lips so visible and noticeable to any color changes.
What makes your lips go dark?
Lips majorly add to the beauty of your face and hence dark lips are a cause of worry in many. Some people may have dark lips naturally although there are certain factors that may cause the darkening of lips. Here are some of them:
- Smoking: It doesn’t mean all people that have dark lips are smokers. But people who smoke too much including both men and women not only make their lungs go weak but also exposes their lips to discoloration. Tobacco and nicotine darken the lips and the inner lining of the mouth making your lips darker which is called smoker’s Melanesia.
- Excessive exposure to sunlight: Excessive exposure to sunlight can cause lip hyperpigmentation. Hyperpigmentationis a common, usually harmless condition in which patches of skin become darker in color than the normal surrounding skin. This darkening occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin.
- Frequent drinking of beverages that contain caffeine: Daily dose of caffeine is fine. But if you are chronically dependent on any beverages that contain caffeine, your lips will have to pay a price for your addiction. Hot beverages that contain caffeine like tea and coffee are known to cause damage to the lips.
How to lighten dark lips?
Dark pigmented lips are a concern to many and people who have dark lips want to lighten them. Depending on the cause, lip discoloration may be prevented by some “dos and don’ts” and also by using at-home skincare solutions. Other tips include:
- Quit smoking: Quitting is difficult but possible. Perhaps at the beginning, maybe you can try to cut one or two cigarette in a day.
- Use sunscreen: Limit sun exposure and wear a lip balm that contains sunscreen.
- Less caffeine: In the case of keeping your lips moist and looks healthy, drink less caffeine and more water.
- Use V-mina Lightening Intimate Gel: Ingky has introduced V-mina Lightening Intimate Gel which is the easier and safer way to lighten your lips! It is a non-soap formula that can be used for lips as well for both females and males. It is made with yogurt extract to maintain the moist while exfoliate dead skin cells. It is also containing Hyaluronic Acid to soften the skin.
Lips don’t lie.. Keep them healthy
It is necessary to avoid the above-mentioned vices and habits to keep your lips looking healthy and pout worthy. Apart from that, drink lots of water every day. Water can help the lips stay hydrated. When the lips are dry, it can enhance lip discoloration making it look darker.
This also helps in expelling toxins from your body. Habits like smoking and drinking too many caffeinated drinks should be avoided. Eating healthy foods should be encouraged to help the body build up enough strength to fight certain diseases that might cause the lips to darken.
Would you like to learn more? We are here to help! Skynfyx is a platform that provides completely free skincare education. Feel free to contact us if you have any inquiries concerning skincare.