Castor oil works not just for your hair but skin as well
I think we can all agree that we’ve seen castor oil pop up on social media multiple times, especially when it comes to enhancing eyelash growth or hair growth in general. But this star-studded face oil isn’t only great for your hair but skin as well. Historically, in ancient Egypt, it was used and regarded as an immunity-boosting elixir as it is packed with omega-6 fatty acids, amino acids and vitamin E, all of which have repairing and enriching benefits.
Castor oil is extracted from the seeds of the castor oil plant ricinus communis and has a thicker texture compared to coconut oil or argan oil, and has a concentration of vitamin E and fatty acids compared to any other plant-derived oil.
- Castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid, an anti-inflammatory ingredient, hence making it very suitable to treat chronic skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis and more. It can help to relieve any irritations or itching associated.
- It can also reduce puffiness and swelling from inflamed acne or eye bags and alleviate the side effects of sunburns.
Prevent ageing skin
- Castor oil is full of antioxidants that help to fight free radicals in the body that are known to speed the skin ageing process, making wrinkles, fine lines, and other ageing skin concerns appear faster. Hence, by inhibiting the effects of free radicals, it also prevents oxidative stress from harming the skin and making the skin appear less healthy.
- Castor oil also fights signs of ageing skin by penetrating the skin and boosting collagen and elastin production which can soften and plump the skin. Collagen depletion naturally occurs as we age and can lead to sagging skin, a core ageing skin concern.
- Ricinoleic acid is the star behind all these anti-ageing benefits.
- Castor oil is a natural humectant, it attracts and locks in moisture in the skin and further guards the skin from any harmful substances like fine dust or pollution.
- The moisturising factor may possibly reduce the chances of peeling after sunburns and also nourish and hydrate skin conditions suffering from dry, scaly and itching skin.
- We all know that dehydrated skin tends to look less glow and supple, with castor oil hydrating the skin, the moisture in the skin will keep your skin looking brighter, healthier and radiant.
- Along with being anti-inflammatory, castor oil is also anti-bacterial, allowing it to have a due-action approach to treating inflamed acne and preventing more from forming as it targets bacteria buildup that can cause breakouts.
- Inflamed skin means that the skin’s protective barrier is weakened and more skin irritants and bacteria can penetrate the skin, leading to a repetitive cycle of constant inflammation and breakouts.
Beneficial for your hair too
- Castor oil is believed by many to help enhance hair growth and treat split ends, which is why there has been a spike in products and hype surrounding homemade remedies and lash serums featuring castor oil that substitute topical treatments.
What to note?
- Doctors advise against using castor oil during pregnancy as it may induce labour as it was traditionally used in medicinal practices for inducing labour.
- Do conduct a patch test prior, as with all ingredients and products.
Products we recommend
This formula combines a comprehensive array of studied technologies to target multiple signs of aging at once, with a variety of peptide complexes, probiotic complexes and a base of 11 amino acids and hyaluronic acid complexes.
A lightweight toner that targets large pores and brightens skin tone. This AHA gently exfoliates by working to unglue dead skin cells on the surface that causes dull looking skin and enlarged pores.
A serum formulated with a rich blend of organic complexes that replenishes moisture and nourishes your skin making your skin softer, smoother and the appearance of a radiant glow throughout the day.
This hair serum provides moisture balance, scalp elasticity management and essential nutritions for the scalp to help strengthen scalp health, relieve hair loss symptoms and stimulate hair growth.
This hair serum leaves your scalp feeling fresh and cool 24 hours straight. Powered by scalp friendly formula to prevent excessive oil secretion and sebum by forming a natural matte protection on scalp.