What you need to know about cotton extract
We’re all familiar with cotton, we look for 100% cotton clothing, bedsheets and etc due to its softness and breathability that is vital for Malaysia’s humid weather. The closest thing to cotton in the skincare/beauty realm is the hype over unbleached cotton pads and how it is much better and safer for your skin, particularly those from Muji. However, it seems to be that cotton extract is making its way into skincare products boasting the ability to calm, hydrate and repair the skin, but does this hold true? Is cotton-infused skincare the new mugwort or Centella Asiatica?
Cotton extract can come in various forms and names - cottonseed oil, cotton milk and cottonseed protein - they all work to primarily hydrate and soothe the skin. If you see any products marketing themselves to contain cotton extract, it is mostly likely cottonseed oil, also referred to as Gossypium Herbaceum. Cotton extract is also used in soaps as it is an inexpensive additive that gives a lasting and thicker lather texture. Does it mean that we should start to look at products containing cotton extract or is it just another natural ingredient fad?
Calms the skin
- Cotton extract is high in vitamin E, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids which all contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help to soothe the skin and calm any redness.
- Cotton extract is also a mild-potency ingredient, making it suitable for people with sensitive skin and chronic skin conditions.
Counters free radicals
- Its antioxidants properties can also help ward off free radicals that can inflame the skin and damage the function of the skin barrier.
Smoothen the skin
- Cotton extract also possesses emollient qualities that can help to soothe and soften rough skin texture.
What to note?
- Final thoughts: Although cotton-inspired skincare does help to deliver hydration and soothe inflammation, there are other ingredients that produce the same benefits. We can’t exactly say that cotton-infused products are better or worse, they’re just different and it wouldn’t hurt to try cotton-infused products if the products target your specific skin concerns and work for your skin.
- It should be noted that some cotton extract can contain high levels of pesticide if not treated or formulated properly, which can cause skin irritation. Hence, individuals with sensitive skin, or generally anyone, should conduct a patch test prior to applying any cotton-infused products on the skin.
Products we recommend
This go-to moisturiser contains vitamin D, niacinamide, salicylic acid, hyaluronic acid, lactic acid, ceramides and cottonseed extract that helps to improve skin texture, effectively smoothing and soothing very dry skin. Gently eliminate dead skin cells and helps to restore and maintain the skin's natural barrier.
You might think that cotton pads are only used when removing makeup but for some, especially the iconic Korean 10-step routine, using the right cotton pad is essential and if chosen wrongly can render micellar waters or toners useless. Cotton pads are recommended as they are simply the most hygienic method to apply skincare, ensuring a clean application and wiping away any leftover residue or makeup. Cotton pads also control product application, making sure the product is evenly applied across the skin. However, there is such a thing as the "wrong cotton pad". Cotton pads with a rough texture or those that have been bleached will work counter-productive and trigger irritations.
This toner cotton pad features two textured sides: a soft compressed one to help exfoliate and remove any residue on the skin, and a sponge version that soaks up the toner and transfers it onto the skin.
Specially designed for sensitive skin, these can be used on delicate areas, such as around the eyes without causing any irritation or allergic reactions. It also features a 2-way material with 2 different textures on each side to maximize the benefits of your skincare. It helps to remove the dirt, oil and residual cosmetics.
A set of cotton pads that deliver moisture and nutrients deep into your skin. Its perforated line allows each pad to be used as a single piece or be split into two. Perfect for toner masking as a small amount goes a long way, no more wasting that precious toner. Its silky soft touch works without causing any irritation.