What are the benefits of Eucalyptus?
With more people switching to natural-based skincare products, brands do too and with the hype surrounding natural ingredients, there is just so much confusion and curiosity as to whether they work or not. Although there are some natural ingredients that have been proven to be beneficial for the skin with not many side effects, like tea tree oil, this has also led to a major misconception that if something is natural it has to be good for the skin and better than synthetic ingredients. But we’re here to tell you that before slathering a bunch of natural ingredients on your face, be it extracts or oils, you should read up on them and find if they have any known side effects, as some side effects can overpower the benefits.
For this article, we’re gonna be touching upon a somewhat controversial and widely known ingredient, Eucalyptus.
Eucalyptus oil/extract are distilled from the leaf of an evergreen tree, mainly the Eucalyptus Globulus species. Eucalyptus oil/extract contains multiple natural ingredients such as 1, 8-cineole (aka eucalyptol), flavonoids and tannins and can be found in various health and beauty products such as cleansers, shower gels and bath salts as the fragrance emitted from eucalyptus is said to help relieve symptoms of cold, alleviate any chest congestions and relax the muscles. This is why we see eucalyptus oil so frequently used in aromatherapy. Due to this, it is believed that eucalyptus possesses antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, but these are all just speculations as research done on humans is scarce.
- The cineole present in eucalyptus is the reason why eucalyptus is sometimes used to heal wounds or muscle aches as it has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and analgesic (helps to reduce pain) properties that many believe to work the same way in topical treatments.
- Its antibacterial properties may help to clarify the skin and rid of the impurities in our skin that can cause breakouts, dullness and pigmentation.
- Certain lab studies revealed that eucalyptus possesses antioxidant properties that can help to fight against environmental stresses like pollution, UV rays, cigarette smoke and others.
- Like all antioxidants, protecting the skin against environmental threats can help to prevent and treat signs of ageing skin as environmental damage is one of the biggest culprits behind premature ageing.
Moisturises the skin
- Eucalyptus may also promote skin hydration as some lab studies show that eucalyptus stimulates ceramide production in the skin that can also help prevent collagen degradation.
- With more ceramide in the skin, the skin will also better retain moisture, allowing the skin to look more supple.
- With the skin producing more ceramide, the overall skin health and barrier will be healthier, therefore, any signs of inflammation or redness can be reduced.
What to note?
- Some dermatologists actually advise against topical application of Eucalyptus oil, rather they recommend that use of Eucalyptus oil should be used in aromatherapy as there are fewer chances of side effects.
- Like most essential oils, eucalyptus oil should always be diluted in a carrier solution. If not, any application of potent eucalyptus oil can cause irritation, itching or burning
- Please conduct a patch test prior, especially for people with sensitive or chronic skin conditions as eucalyptus oil/extract may cause the skin to react negatively.
Products we recommend
With various plant extracts (including Eucalyptus oil) and soothing ingredients blended together, a calming, non-irritating, hydrating toner for all skin types even for the most sensitive. This toner balances the skin’s pH level and improves the effectiveness of your entire skincare regime, helping you to achieve your best skin.
Give your skin that smooth radiant glow throughout the day by replenishing your skin’s moisture levels with this hydrating serum. This serum contains centella asiatica extract and various other plant extracts (including Eucalyptus oil) for optimal hydration.
This cream is an all-year moisturizing cream made for battling sensitive skin through all seasons. For dry skin, it effectively restores the hydration balance to help stabilize the skin, whereas for heated skin, it lowers the temperature to reduce redness and diminish the appearance of pores. Infused with yeast-derived beta glucan, shea butter and various other plant extracts (including Eucalyptus oil) to support your skin's natural moisture barrier and intensely hydrate the skin.
Suffering from body-acne? This acne-clearing body wash is enriched with eucalyptus for sebum control and pore care, AHA and PHA to exfoliate dead skin, BHA ingredients to alleviate troubled skin, and 10,000ppm of Truecica and houttuynia cordata extract to soothe skin.