Lavender doesn't just smell good, it does good as well!
When we see or hear of the word lavender, we almost automatically think of purple and its distinct floral-herbal fragrance that is used for almost all aromatherapies’ and perfume. When used for aromatherapy, lavender is known to promote calmness and relaxation by reducing stress, anxiety and for some even mild pain. This is why lavender sprays or oil are recommended to those suffering with menstrual cramps, headaches, anxiety or insomnia.
Lavender is an essential oil, though sometimes it is referred to as a botanical or natural ingredient. A brief explanation of essential oils is that they are concentrated liquids derived from the aromatic parts of a plant/herb using a steam distillation process, these parts can be the flower, root or leaves.
The scientific name of Lavender is Lavandula Angustifolia. I’m so grateful that skincare brands don’t use scientific names! Lavender oil/extract is most often derived from the flowers of the lavender plant, unless stated otherwise. Use of lavender as an antiseptic for wounds dates back 2,500 years ago, mostly in the Mediterranean, Middle East, India and even Ancient Rome. Due to the healing powers, lavender has long been used as a remedy aiding skin recovery and mind and body relaxation with its soothing herbal scent.
It is important to note that there are various types of lavender oil/extract and as such they have different chemical properties due to a difference in composition. Hence, some components of lavender oil/extract may not be found in others, resulting in a possibly slight lack or added benefits. Though not enough research has been done to confirm if this holds true for topical treatments.
Antibacterial & antifungal
- Probably the most prominent benefit of lavender for the skin is its antibacterial and antifungal properties that are thanks to the main components found in lavender; linolool, linalyl acetate, lavandulol, geraniol and eucalyptol. These help to prevent and fight off any form of bacterial or fungal infections.
Soothes the skin
- Due to the antifungal and antibacterial qualities, lavender can help soothe and calm irritated skin that is caused by bacteria or fungal growth.
- Lavender can also further reduce itching and inflammation (redness).
- Other than helping prevent infections, lavender is able to help reduce and improve acne by combating acne-causing bacteria, as well as calming acne inflammation.
- Like its traditional usage, lavender can help heal wounds such as burns, cutes and even scarring. Hence, if you suffer from the aftermath of a breakout, lavender helps to encourage and promote skin healing.
- As a natural antioxidant, lavender provides protection against free radicals and environmental threats such as pollutants and harmful toxins that can impact the immune system of the skin, resulting in a weakened skin barrier function. This can lead to the skin being more prone to oxidative stress damage, a major culprit to ageing skin, diseases, infection and more.
What to note?
- As with all essential oils, it is imperative to NOT use them directly on the skin as its potent concentration can harm and damage the skin. Therefore, it is crucial to dilute them with a carrier oil or look for a product that is enriched with lavender.
- Despite its soothing effects, lavender is actually a common allergen. Common side effects include redness, itching, rough patches of skin and sometimes a tingling pain. This is especially true for people with sensitive or compromised skin conditions, so we would advise against using products with high concentrations of fragrance and essential oils and conduct a patch test prior.
Products we recommend and where to find them
Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Chamomile and Lavender
A replenishing facial spray that works as a mist and toner. It contains an infusion of calming botanicals and Lavender Essential Water to deliver a soothing boost of hydration. It also has Vitamin C to help combat skin-aging free radicals, leaving your skin balanced and luminous.
Find Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Chamomile and Lavender here!
Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Soothing & Calming Lotion
For anyone with eczema, psoriasis or any other chronic skin conditions, Aveeno is definitely a brand that you’ve either come across or is already using. A lightweight, yet deeply moisturizing lotion enriched with soothing oat extract for 24-hour long hydration. Infused with lavender, chamomile and ylang ylang essential oils to help calm and relax the mind as you rub it into the skin.
Find Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Soothing & Calming Lotion here!
Dear, Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
An icon to the Dear, Klairs brand. This daily hydrating toner works to balance the skin’s pH level and enhances the effectiveness of your entire skincare regime, helping you achieve your best skin. Formulated with Phyto-Oligo, wheat amino acids and various plant extracts (Lavender Oil included) to help reduce and soothe inflammation.
Find Dear, Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner here!
Dear, Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Serum
Give your skin the glow it so desperately wants with this hydrating serum that replenishes your skin’s moisture levels. Formulated with its patented Phyto-Oligo and a rich blend of organic complexes (Yes, Lavender Oil is included) that immediately makes skin feel softer and moisturized.
Find Dear, Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Serum here!
Pixi Milky Tonic
A calming and soothing toner that helps to balance and hydrate the skin. Infused with Oat Extract and other skin-loving botanicals such as Matricaria Flower Water, Camellia Leaf Extract, Lavender Extract and more, to help deliver essential hydration and nourishment to comfort irritated skin.
Find Pixi Milky Tonic here!
Pixi Beauty Sleep Cream
A nourishing night-time essential that helps protect, nourish and hydrate the skin, all while you sleep. It is made with 100% Natural Mango Butter and Lavender, Lemon and Bergamot oil that calms and balances the skin tone.
Find Pixi Beauty Sleep Cream here!
If you have anything to add or ask, feel free to join in conversation below! We’ll gladly answer all questions to the best of our ability and help you in any way we can!