What is Keratosis Pilaris?
Keratosis Pilaris is a skin condition also known as chicken skin which results in tiny, rough bumps and dry patches usually occurring in the arm, thigh and bottom region of your body. These bumps are red or brown in colour, are harmless and do not itch, usually worsening during colder, drier months.
What causes Keratosis Pilaris?
Keratosis Pilaris is caused by the build up of keratin and dead skin cells blocking the opening of hair follicles and clogging them, resulting in rough, bumpy skin. The cause is not known but it is usually common in people suffering from dry skin, eczema, hay fever, fair skin, hormonal changes or obesity. It tends to be prevalent in younger people, especially pregnant women and teenagers, with most cases completely clearing up by the age of thirty.
How do I get rid of Keratosis Pilaris?
Unfortunately, Keratosis Pilaris cannot be cured but it can be treated and your skin appearance will improve! Usually it disappears by the time you hit your thirties as mentioned before. However, below we have 5 top tips to help you try and minimise its appearance!
1. Gentle cleansers are the way to go! Ensure your cleanser is mild, free from fragrances and comodogenic ingredients so your pores won't be blocked and your skin won't be stripped of moisture.
- Cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- COSRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- Klairs Gentle Deep Black Cleansing Oil
2. Skincare products containing AHAs and BHAs help to unclog pores and encourage cell turnover to remove the excessive buildup of dead skin cells on the top layer of your skin which causes the rough and bumpy texture to reveal newer skin underneath.
- COSRX AHA BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner
- Some by Mi AHA BHA PHA 30 Day Miracle Toner
- Pixi Glow Tonic
- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution
3. Retinols and retinoids, like AHAs and BHAs help to regulate cell production and prevent a build up of cells to improve the appearance of Keratosis Pilaris.
- Pixi Retinol Tonic
- The INKEY List Retinol Serum
- CeraVe Resurfacing Retinol Serum
- CeraVe Skin Renewing Retinol Serum
4. Moisturisers or serums with hyaluronic acid, cica or ceramides help to hydrate and soothe inflammation, reducing the bumpy texture. Make sure to apply whenever your skin feels dry and tight. For best results apply to damp skin within 2-3 minutes of bathing.
- CeraVe Daily Moisturising Lotion
- The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- A La Carte 2% Hyaluronic Acid
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
5. Laser assisted hair removal is the preferred option to waxing or shaving as this can cause more bumps and irritation.