What is Azelaic Acid?Azelaic acid is a dicarboxylic acid. It works on your skin as a gentle leave-on exfoliant which helps unclog pores and refine skin's surface. Azelaic acid also significantly lessens factors in skin that lead to sensitivity and bumps and delivers antioxidant benefits.
Much of the research on this ingredient has looked at prescription-only topical products with concentrations between 15% and 20%, but there are incredible benefits to be seen even at lower concentrations.
Uses of azelaic acid for acneAzelaic acid works by:
- clearing your pores of bacteria that may be causing irritation or breakouts
- reducing inflammation so acne becomes less visible, less red, and less irritated
- gently encouraging cell turnover so your skin heals more quickly and scarring is minimize
- Wash the affected area thoroughly with warm water and pat dry. Use a cleanser or mild soap to make sure the area is clean.
- Wash your hands before applying the medication.
- Apply a small amount of medication to the affected area, rub it in, and let it dry completely.
- Once the medication has dried, you can apply cosmetics. There’s no need to cover or bandage your skin.
Azelaic acid for acne scarsSome people use azelaic to treat acne scars or active outbreaks. Azelaic acid encourages cell turnover, which is a way to reduce how severe scarring appears. It also prevents what’s known as melanin synthesis, the ability of your skin to produce pigments that can vary your skin’s tone. If you’ve tried other topical medications to help with scarring or blemishes that’re slow to heal, azelaic acid might help.
The bottom line..
Azelaic acid is a naturally occurring acid that’s milder than some more popular acids used to treat acne. While the results of treatment with azelaic acid might not be obvious right away, there is research that points to this ingredient as effective.
Acne, uneven skin tone, rosacea, and inflammatory skin conditions have all been shown to be effectively treated with azelaic acid. As with any medication, follow the dosing and application directions from your doctor closely.
Would you like to learn more? Skynfyx is run by a group of skin doctors and skincare experts who want everybody to achieve flawless skin at the cheapest possible cost. Skynfyx also can customize a skincare range just for your skin condition.