You may very well be familiar with this non-diary ingredient and have grown up eating it.
Who doesn’t love a bowl of Tau-Fu-Fah or Soy Milk in the morning? For many of us, Tau-Fu-Fah or Soy Milk has long been in our life, a common treat we indulged in during our childhood, but did you know that Soybean isn’t’ just nutritious and tasty. It is also quite beneficial for the skin and has been slowly gaining recognition and becoming quite a favorite in the skincare realm. Read on more to find out why!
Soybean is an ingredient that is often used in many cuisines and has especially seen an increase in its role in the kitchen as vegetarian and vegan lifestyles have becoming increasingly prominent as they provide a plant-based protein source. Examples would be tofu, tempeh and in many alternative meat options. Soybean is said to lower cholesterol and blood levels and reduce risk of heart diseases. In terms of skincare, Soybean is becoming a fav ingredient, particularly for those looking to target dull looking, aging skin and even helping to alleviate redness for those with sensitive skin. In terms of Soybean topical ingredients, the most common are usually Soybean extract and Soybean Oil.
Targets aging skin concerns
- Soybeans contains an antioxidant called isoflavones, and Vitamin E can be found in Soybean oil. Antioxidants are known to help slow down premature aging as it neutralizes free radicals and environmental stressors (UV rays, pollutants) and decrease damages to the skin cells.
Plumps the skin
- The isoflavones can help improve the skin’s texture and boosts the skin’s collagen levels, resulting in lesser wrinkles, fine lines and plumper-looking skin.
Evens out the skin
- On top of isoflavones, there are other antioxidants that can be found in soybeans and they help to brighten and promote a more even-looking skin complexion. It does so by inhibiting melanin production in the skin.
Increases moisture levels
- Soybean oil contains Vitamin E which is an antioxidant and linoleic acid that reinforces the skin’s barrier for better moisture retention.
- Soybean is also an incredibly gentle, calming ingredient that makes it suitable to be used by those with rosacea and sensitive skin. It helps to relieve irritation and reduce redness, all while delivering its other skin benefits.
- It’s calming benefits can also offset the damage caused by excessive sun exposure, especially with lightening dark spots or scars caused by UV rays.
What to note?
- Do note that the compound portfolio of the Soybean extract and Soybean oil are different, and some vitamins may be present in one but not the other.
- Soybean oil is not recommended to those with oilier skin types as it is quite comedogenic and can clog pores and lead to breakouts.
- As with all new ingredients and products, we advise people to conduct a patch test 24-48 hours prior to application in any case of a sensitive reaction.
Products we recommend and where to find them
An anti-aging serum that uses black snail extract as its main ingredient and tops its benefits with super-foods like black beans, black rice, kelp, centella asiatica and soybean ferment extracts for antioxidant and skin repairing benefits.
An antioxidant serum that is formulated with Q10 and an added Syn-Tacks, a dual peptide that boosts the collagen levels in the skin helping to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. It also contains Squalane that protects the skin, as well as Soybean.
4 small but potent ampoule that are formulated with Soy Peptide that are developed by concentrating low molecular weight polypeptide from beans that improve the skin’s elasticity. It also has Musk Mellow Water that supports moist, resilient skin and healthier glow.
This essence contains naturally derived Pomegranate extract and Lycopene that has up to almost 100X more antioxidant power than Vitamin E when it comes to targeting premature aging. Not only that, it also contains Soybean extract that boosts the skin’s collagen and elasticity for plumper looking skin.
Soybean may have already taken the food industry but it may very well slowly be making its mark in the skincare world. If you have any questions, do leave a comment down below and we’ll do our best to get back to you.