What does Aloe Vera do?
Aloe vera is widely known and used to help treat sunburns, this is because it contains amino acids, polysaccharides and phytosterols, antioxidants and enzymes, which are highly anti-inflammatory, which makes aloe vera perfect to treat not only burns, but acne and dry skin. Aloe vera is also rich in vitamins (A,C,D,E) and minerals (zinc, potassium, magnesium) that them capable of targeting multiple skin concerns.
The gel-like texture of aloe vera is derived from the substance in the plant’s leaves.
- Aloe vera is advocated to soothe burns, particularly sunburns, because of one particular antioxidant protein present in aloe vera, called metallothionein.
- The multitude of amino acids, antioxidants and enzymes work to calm and soothe any irritant and inflamed skin that can cause itchiness or flaking skin.
- Aloe vera prevents transepidermal water loss (TEWL) which occurs when the skin is dehydrated and can lead to dryness and inflammation. The mucopolysaccharides in aloe vera help retain moisture in the skin. Preventing further TEWL is crucial when healing from burns of any kind.
- It also creates a moisture barrier on the skin that cools and hydrates the skin, allowing the skin to heal properly.
Prevents premature ageing skin
- Hydrated skin is happy skin. When your skin is sufficiently hydrated, it impedes the signs of ageing skin caused by a number of environmental reasons like free radicals and UV rays.
- With aloe vera having built a strong skin barrier, this stimulates collagen production and elastic fibres in the skin to keep the skin firm and plump, thus, reducing the appearance of fines lines, wrinkles and pigmentation.
Helps with acne
- Aloe vera is a natural exfoliant as it naturally contains low levels of salicylic acid. However, it works best on surface acne rather than cystic and deep acne. Do not replace your traditional acne treatments with aloe vera, instead look to use aloe vera alongside them after consulting with your doctor.
- It aids in treating acne scars because a hydrated and moist surface helps with the healing process compared to a dry environment. All thanks to the moisture barrier.
What to note?
- Avoid using aloe vera products containing alcohol because it will negate the moisturising and soothing effects.
- Avoid using in conjunction with chemical exfoliants as it may worsen irritation.
- Aloe vera can cause some to have allergic reactions such as, slight burning sensation, developing rashes or hives, so do conduct a patch test prior.
- You could also directly from the aloe plant itself but topically created formulas may contain other skin-calming ingredients.
Products we recommend
Made from 92% Aloe Vera gel, Nature Republic Aloe Vera Soothing Gel is enriched with vitamins is meant to be an all-over gel for soothing and cooling skin that is hot from either irritation or from exposure to heat. The aloe vera used to make this product comes from certified organic farmers in California (CCOF) and is kind to even the most sensitive of skins, making this suitable for all skin types.
A moisturiser containing aloe and 7 hyaluronic acids that hydrates balances, improves elasticity and soothes. And protecting the skin by providing a gentle moisture barrier.
A gel moisturiser containing aloe barbadensis leaf juice and propolis extract that soothes, hydrates and balances oiliness. Helps to calm and control spots; apply a soaked cotton pad to the affected area to relieve angry blemishes.
A gelly, cooling, non-oil gel cream moisturizer that immerses skin in hydration. Calms down the intense summer heat. Enriched with green tea and aloe vera extracts for anti-oxidizing and soothing benefits.
Contains real aloe extract capsules to boost up your skin elasticity, providing strong moisturising properties to protect your skin from a polluted environment. Helps leave skin supple, hydrated and smooth as its water retention is 20 times higher.
Invigorate dull, tired skin with an infusion of Cucumber and Peppermint Essential Waters. This facial mist delivers a cooling boost of hydration as Green Tea provides powerful antioxidant protection—leaving the skin feeling refreshed and revitalized.
This sheet mask soothes sensitive, irritated, and inflamed skin. Containing an abundance of soothing, moisturizing, and skin-barrier repairing ingredients, the sheet mask is guaranteed to be a solution for those experiencing dryness, redness, or irritation.
A mask pack containing aloe and camelia sinensis leaf water that supplies moisture and nutrition, controls skin balance and give a clearer and skin complexion.