Berries aren't just good for our health but our skin as well!
We all know the benefits of eating berries for our health, packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to boost our immune system, and even metabolism. But these aren’t only limited to our diet, but skin health as well. This is why you’ve probably been seeing a spike in berry-influenced skincare products, no wonder they are considered superfoods.
Just like antioxidants, there isn’t a “best berry” for your skin, rather each berry has its own distinctive benefit. These are just a few summaries of the plentiful berries variety.
- Blueberry = Counters the harmful enzymes triggered by excessive UV exposure, preventing them from damaging the skin’s barrier.
- Indian gooseberry (amla) = Able to target the range of free radicals in the body before can cause your skin to appear older and duller.
- Elderberry = Keeps your skin’s vital fats from breaking down and generating age-inducing free radicals. Inhibits the enzymes that cause inflammation.
- Acai berry = Rich source of anthocyanidin polyphenols. Works similarly to elderberry but the way it reacts to certain types of free radicals differs slightly.
- Raspberry = Rich in tiliroside that reduces melanin production and helps brighten skin complexion. Ideal for sensitive skin.
Listed below are the broad benefits that all berries tend to carry and why you shouldn’t miss out on them.
They protect your skin
- Berries are rich in antioxidants, especially polyphenols (also called phenolics) which help to guard the skin from free radicals and environmental stressors such as pollution, UV rays, cigarette smoke and etc.
- Other than guarding your skin, polyphenols also possess healing properties that revive the skin’s barrier so that the skin will appear healthier and fresher.
- Polyphenol’s role in berries is to protect them in the wild, hence, it works the same for your skin, to protect it from the environment.
Slows down ageing skin
- Free radicals are one of the major culprits for causing ageing skin concerns like wrinkles, uneven complexion, dark spots and dull-looking skin. And by fighting off free radicals, it slows down the process of ageing skin.
Promote cell turnover rate
- Most berries are filled with vitamin A, C and E, these 3 vitamins are known to help boost cell turnover rate, tighten, clarify and soothe the skin, revealing a more youthful complexion.
Promote collagen production
- We all have and produce collagen in our body, but as we age the amount deteriorates and this leads to the skin that lacks elasticity and firmness. The antioxidants in berries can help to stimulate collagen production that makes your skin plumper and fuller.
What to note?
Like all ingredients, do conduct a patch test prior.
Products we recommend
A cleanser formulated with Vitamin C derivative, vitamin E, kakadu plum extract, 5-berry complex for a bright, healthier skin. The 5-berry complex contains açai berry, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry and blackberry to revitalise and give your skin a “wake me up”. This cleanser also utilizes a natural detergent extracted from coconut oil known for its strong cleansing capacity and makes it non-irritant, smooth and foamy.
A cleanser formulated with papain enzyme and blueberry extract, this cleanser exfoliates and removes makeup, sun cream and fine dust, leaving your skin looking brighter and clearer.
Revive lacklauster skin with this mild and refreshing scrub that feature real strawberry seeds and cornmeal that gently buffs away dulling dead skin cells, leaving your skin feeling smoother and softer.
This low pH multifunctional sugar mask is enriched with grapefruit and raspberry extracts, kaolin, calamine, vitamin C and shea butter that helps create a glowing complexion by mildly exfoliating dead skin cells and providing hydration to your skin.
This oil-free moisturiser is enriched with antioxidants derived from pumpkin and blueberry, as well as containing ceramides and niacinamide. It soothes the skin and reduces any redness, provides hydration, and strengthens the skin’s barrier, all without clogging the pores or causing any breakouts.
This overnight cream facial mask contains tranexamic acid, vitamin C and acai berry extract to target hyperpigmentation, uneven patches and dark spots, revealing a brighter complexion