Nature is taking over the skincare realm
We’ve all seen an immense increase in natural skincare in the past few years, swapping out chemicals and highlighting the perks of natural skincare especially when it comes to gaining transparency and clarity over the ingredients. We’ve all been there when we are faced with a long list of chemical names and googling each ingredient wondering which should be avoided or praised.
Botanicals, or also called plant-derived additives, are widely used as topical remedies with soothing and healing properties that focus on preventive care rather than reactive care. Botanicals can be derived from flowers, herbs, nuts, seeds, roots, leaves, barks or berries, almost anything plant-derived. Few examples include rose, lavender, chamomile, evening primrose, hazelnut and more.
Counters UV rays
- Botanicals are rich with antioxidants that can fight off the damaging effects of free radicals and excessive UV ray exposure.
Fight premature ageing
- With botanicals focused on preventative care, botanicals can prevent the onset of premature ageing skin caused by oxidative stress which can demote healthy and supple skin. Such concerns include fine lines and wrinkles and dark spots.
- Some botanical extracts are able to inhibit tyrosinase enzyme and melanin production, thus, reducing the appearance of dark spots and preventing more from forming in the future.
- Some botanical ingredients have the ability to promote collagen production, leading to better skin elasticity and texture.
Heals the skin
- Botanicals extract/oil have been widely acclaimed for its healing properties, this is because it contains phospholipids which contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help restrict imbalance within our skin barrier. A strong and healthy skin barrier is crucial in preventing harmful substances from entering our skin and maintaining balanced pH levels.
- Botanicals also possess antibacterial properties that will minimise skin irritation and even possibly treat light acne.
Hydration is a must
- By strengthening the skin barrier, it helps to retain moisture in the skin. A balanced skin tends to be more hydrated and has better access to components that supply the natural moisture in our skin, called Natural Moisturising Factor (NMF).
Supports the body and mind as well
- A plus point to botanicals is that it also benefits both body and mind, an example of this can be seen in aromatherapy that focuses on the holistic approach to promote well-being. One of the most well-known aromatherapy botanic ingredients is lavender.
What to note?
Certain botanicals can trigger an allergic reaction, so it is important to conduct a patch test prior, especially those with sensitive skin and chronic skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis).
Products we recommend
This product has been a staple in some people’s skincare regime ever since it was released. Enriched with various botanical extracts, particularly tea tree oil, this gentle facial cleanser boasts a low pH level of 5, perfect for those with sensitive skin and to use first thing in the morning (hence, the name) as it won’t strip your skin of its natural oils and leaves it supple and refreshed.
This lightweight facial gel is enriched with grapefruit and citronella extract that deep cleans the skin and removes excess shine, making it ideal for oily skin. This gel cleanser does not foam and helps to remove light makeup, oil and other impurities to encourage a more balanced and healthy-looking complexion.
Mario Badescu Facial Spray
All of Mario Badescu’s facial sprays are formulated using a mixture of different botanical extracts.
Invigorate dull, tired skin with an infusion of Cucumber and Peppermint Essential Waters. This facial mist delivers a cooling boost of hydration as Green Tea provides powerful antioxidant protection—leaving the skin feeling refreshed and revitalized.
It's a rejuvenating mist infused with herbal and botanical extracts (like Aloe Vera, Gardenia, Rose, Bladderwrack and Thyme) that help soothe and re-energize skin—giving it a healthy, radiant glow.
Replenish skin with an infusion of calming botanicals and Lavender Essential Water. This facial mist delivers a soothing boost of hydration as antioxidant Vitamin C combats skin-aging free radicals—leaving the skin balanced and bright.
Hydrate and refresh with an uplifting mist of Sage and Orange Blossom Essential Water. Infused with purifying botanical extracts that help tone and improve skin's clarity, this facial spray restores balance to reveal a dewy and smooth, supple complexion.
Green tea is also considered a botanical ingredient. This product moisturises and gives vitality from deep within the skin without leaving any oily feeling. Green tea also soothes the skin, as well as, keeping the skin balanced.