Does Collagen skincare really work?
When looking at anti-ageing skincare products it is almost impossible to find one that doesn’t mention certain ingredients, and today we’ll be looking at Collagen. Now, why is that collagen is so prevalent in anti-ageing skincare? This is because collagen is naturally found in our body, in the dermis (2nd layer of the skin, below the epidermis), and is the most important structural protein that is responsible for giving us a plump and youthful-looking appearance. However, due to age, environmental stressors and lifestyle choices, the collagen starts to break down and our body doesn’t produce as much. This is why we see a plethora of not only collagen beauty products but also collagen supplements and more. All of which promote the promise to help diminish any signs of ageing skin, particularly fine lines and wrinkles.
Now the question is does collagen skincare products actually work? Do they help replenish the collagen our body has lost? That’s something that we can’t guarantee as not enough research has been done. Some say that collagen creams can’t replenish the collagen we have lost as the collagen molecule size is too big to penetrate the skin and enter the dermis. However, some creams and oral supplements use hydrolyzed collagen, where the collagen is broken down into fragments small enough to be delivered to the dermis, though this is just a theory and not enough evidence can back this up.
Though this doesn’t mean that collagen skincare is redundant, it does benefit the skin.
Moisturises the skin
- You might be thinking, so what should I do with all my collagen skincare? Essentially, the main benefit you will reap from collagen products is increased moisture in the skin. So if you’ve been using a collagen product and reacting well to it, there’s no need to chuck them away.
Improves skin complexion and texture
- With more moisture in the skin, the skin will appear fuller, softer and smoother. This is why you might be thinking that the collagen products are actually replenishing the lost collagen, instead, it’s just your skin being more moisturised and hydrated.
What to note?
- The best remedy to prevent collagen loss is SUNSCREEN! So make sure to apply sunscreen abundantly!
- Also, retinol/retinoid is your best friend when looking to boost collagen production as it stimulates cell renewal.
- If your goal is to stimulate collagen production, we recommend using collagen skincare together with retinol/peptides as they act as messengers to signal the skin cells to produce collagen.
- Or with vitamin C and sunscreen as they help to prevent your collagen from breaking down further.
Products we recommend
A firming serum that prevents the deepening of fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. Helps to mimic the effect of natural collagen, keeping your skin looking plumper and smoother so your skin looks increasingly firm and supple in the long run too.
A serum containing EGF and bFGF that replenishes your skin's collagen and natural elasticity and repairing damage of time. Helps to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
A nurturing yet fast-absorbing daily moisturizer with a peptide duo that helps support natural collagen and hydrate the skin. Peptides are small but mighty amino acid chains that support the firming and hydrating proteins for your skin. With continued use, these peptides help support natural collagen, leaving skin looking youthful.
A 3-in-1 gel containing three types of hyaluronic acid and hydrolysed collagen that provides intense and long lasting hydration and helps to replenish nutrients to the skin.
Retinol is proven to help boost collagen and stimulate cell renewal. This serum will revitalise your skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as brightening the overall skin tone.
A night time eye cream containing vitamin A that reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while giving extra support to your most fragile skin by supporting natural collagen production
This water-free solution contains a 2% concentration of an advanced retinoid active complex called Granactive Retinoid that has been shown to offer better results against multiple signs of aging than retinol without any of the irritation and drawbacks common with retinol.
When the skin has more collagen, it will reveal a brighter and more even skin tone. This can also be achieved by vitamin C. This concentrated booster with 15% pure vitamin C dramatically brightens uneven skin and dull-looking skin while improving the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, and warding off environmental assaults.
This powerhouse serum containing 15% Vitamin C and EGF unites Signal Peptide EGF to help skin regenerate and refresh the dermis for visibly plumper and youthful-looking skin alongside 15% vitamin C to help brighten as well as protect skin from damage caused by environmental pollution.