The endless skin benefits of cucumber
With Malaysia’s hot and humid climate, cucumber is essential not only to our bodies and lifestyle, but in our skincare as well. For our body, the cooling effects of cucumbers help to keep our body hydrated and ward off the heat while maintaining the water balance in the body. A glass of ice-cold cucumber-infused water is just perfect when suffering from a hot day.
Whereas, for our skin, the cooling effects of cucumber have become lifesavers for those with sensitive and dry skin as it helps to soothe and calm irritations. We’ve become so familiar with the idea of cucumbers benefiting our skin, we see them all the time in movies, TV series, adverts and basically everywhere where cucumber slices are used as face masks for that girl’s night in or self-pamper night. But what else can cucumber do other than cool down our skin?
Here are some quick facts about cucumbers:
- 96% of cucumbers is just water. This is why many love it as a diet food (or hate it).
- Cucumber slices can bring down the temperature of the blood and reduce swelling.
- Cucumber belongs to the gourd family which includes pumpkin and zucchini.
Rich in antioxidants
- We don’t call cucumbers superfoods for no reason. Cucumbers are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients that fuel the body and skin. Unlike other fruits and vegetables, cucumber is particularly rich in vitamin C (brightens the clarifies the skin), caffeic acid and folic acid (both stimulates collagen production).
- As cucumbers are filled with antioxidants, cucumbers can help fight against free radicals that cause oxidative stress that is largely responsible for signs of ageing skin.
- Cucumbers, like aloe vera, contains polysaccharides that help to attract and maintain moisture. Along with the high water content in cucumbers, it helps to provide superior hydration to the skin.
- Hydrated skin is crucial for attaining glow and younger-looking skin. Hydration helps to improve elasticity and firmness, making your skin appear plumper which reduces the looks of fine lines and wrinkles.
Cools down the skin
- Perfect for people with sensitive or irritated skin, cucumbers have soothing and cooling properties that help to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- After a long day out, there are times where we suffer from sunburns even after wearing sunscreen. When this happens, it’s great to use cucumber-infused products to help calm the skin and prevent it from inflaming or peeling.
- Cucumbers are considered a mild astringent, meaning that they tighten pores, reducing the look of enlarged pores, as well as help regulate sebum/oil production.
- Clogged pores and excess oil are largely associated with causing breakouts, so by keeping them at bay, it will help prevent any further breakouts.
What to note?
- Cucumbers are considered a gentle/mild ingredient with very few known sensitive reactions. However, it is still advised to conduct a patch test prior to any application.
Products we recommend
Ideal for oily and troubled skin, this toner offers enhanced cleansing that revitalises and clarifies the skin, while controlling T-zone shine. It also helps to dry up existing breakouts and soothes inflammation.
Invigorate dull, tired skin with an infusion of Cucumber and Peppermint Essential Waters. This facial mist delivers a cooling boost of hydration as Green Tea provides powerful antioxidant protection—leaving the skin feeling refreshed and revitalized.
A powerful purifying mask that features kaolin, zinc oxide and cucumber to effectively deep cleans congested and enlarged pores, tightening and minimising the look of pores. Cucumber extract provides a cooling boost that leaves the skin looking healthy, refined and clear.
A facial mist containing green tea extract, rice, cucumbers, okra, and mugwort that provides antioxidant protection and intensely hydrates and brightens the skin, revealing a dewy glow.