What is Galactomyces?
Korean skincare tends to utilise and highlight some of the most unexpected ingredients, such as snail mucin, mugwort and this time it is Galactomyces. What are Galactomyces? Galactomyces is the shortened name of Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate and is a byproduct of fermented sake and is a nutrient-dense yeast.
Apparently, there’s a story behind how galactomyces was discovered to be beneficial for the skin. The story goes that it was discovered in Japan around the 1970s after noticing that the hands of sake brewers were wrinkle-free and unbelievably smooth compared to the ages, some of them were in their later years, around 50-70 years old. Envious of their youthful-looking hands, the study into galactomyces started. You might already know some products or brands that are well known for the use of galactomyces but you just never knew the name of its star ingredient. A prime example is SK-II’s Facial Treatment Essence.
A quick look into how galactomyces are formed; during the process of rice fermentation, the galactomyces yeast breaks down the natural ingredients that have been added to the mixture creating new compounds such as amino acids, organic acids and antioxidants, which are all beneficial to the skin. In the end, a ferment filtrate liquid is filtered and served as sake. That ferment filtrate liquid is the star, containing ALL of the goodness that was created during the process. It’s the compounds created that are good for the skin, not the yeast itself.
Enhances skin moisture barrier
- The vitamins and antioxidants that were created during the fermentation process help to reinforce the skin’s natural moisture barrier, preventing any TEWL (Transepidermal Water Loss) that can cause your skin to be dehydrated.
- By strengthening the moisture barrier, it also prevents any environmental aggressors from penetrating and damaging the skin. Aggressors include UV rays, pollution, toxins and chemicals in the air.
Reinforce the penetration of ingredients
- The fermentation process, not only of galactomyces, helps the skin to absorb the ingredients better as the fermentation process breaks down the active ingredients into smaller molecules, making them easier to be absorbed deep into the skin and do their job. Hence, the efficacy of the ingredient/product is elevated.
- Fermenting active ingredients also decreases the likelihood of skin sensitivity. This could be due to the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant substances that were created during the process.
- Take for example the sake factory incident where the workers all had smooth and wrinkle-free hands. Imagine that happening to your face. With a strengthened moisture barrier that decreases the chances of moisture loss in the skin, the skin will appear more supple and fuller, revealing a more youthful appearance.
- Galactomyces help to reduce the appearance of pigmentation, dark spots and scarring as it reduces melanin synthesis.
- Galactomyces diminishes the look of enlarged pores and blackheads. Blackheads are a buildup of impurities and dead skin cells in the pores thus causing the pores to expand.
- By minimising the size of pores and reducing sebum production, the likelihood of getting acne decreases. The anti-inflammatory properties of galactomyces can also prevent and treat acne breakouts.
What to note?
Like all ingredients, please conduct a patch test prior, especially people with sensitive and acne-prone skin as their skin barrier is already weakened, making their skin more susceptible to even more irritation.
Products we recommend
Benton Fermentation Line
This lightweight, quick absorbing essence packs a punch with 80% galactomyces ferment filtrate and adenosine that can smooth, brighten and bring suppleness back to the skin. Helps prevent skin damage and relieve skin irritations and stress. It also fragrance and colourant-free, ideal for sensitive skin.
A premium eyecream packed with pure bliss. It contains galactomyces ferment filtrate, bifida ferment lysate, sh-oligopeptide-1 and ceramides. This helps to prevent skin damage and relieve skin irritations and stress, achieving smooth and youthful looking under-eye area.
Hypo-allergenic & Slightly Acidic Fermentation Mask Pack to awaken dull skin. A premium boosting mask pack containing Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate + Bifida Ferment Lysate + Lactobacillus/Collagen Ferment Filtrate, gives power to skin by elasticity and luminosity. Helps wrinkle improvement to inelastic skin by having anti-wrinkle functions.
iUNIK Rose Galactomyces Line
This toner offers powerful moisturizing and soothing effects to sensitive skin thanks to its 70% damask rose content. Also contains 10% galactomyces ferment filtrate to control sebum production and contract pores, alongside extracts from pomegranate, fig, mulberry and ginkgo for antioxidant benefits.
A potent serum is powered by 50% galactomyces ferment filtrate, 10% cabbage rosewater and niacinamide to moisturize, brighten and lift skin while controlling sebum production and refining pore size.
This lightweight tone-up cream regulates skin’s moisture levels and nourishes skin, leaving it feeling silky smooth and looking bright and clean. Enriched with mixed grain extract to protect skin from ultraviolet rays, resmelin complex to soothe and brighten skin, and niacinamide to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Some By Mi Pure Vitamin C
Formulated with 88% galactomyces, alongside Vitamin C, niacinamide and nourishing naturally-derived ingredients, this toner helps to improve skin luminosity, boasts anti-aging benefits while also calming skin irritations.
Restore your complexion’s youthful radiance! This serum boasts 3% pure ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and 75% galactomyces ferment filtrate. A multifunctional serum that soothes irritated skin and minimizes pores thanks to galactomyces, also infused with Vitamin C to brighten complexion and to reduce wrinkles.
The Galactic Niacin 97 Power Essence contains 92% of Galactomyces Fermented Filtrate, 5% Niacinamide and Bifida Ferment Lysate that helps reduce uneven skin tone and texture and strengthen the skin barrier making the skin healthier and more supple.