Jojoba: The Superhero Ingredient
We know the idea of facial oils aren’t easily acceptable by everyone and all skin due to the assumption that facial oils are only suitable for people with very dry or sensitive skin. But we’re here to introduce you to a facial oil that everything for everyone; Jojoba Oil. Jojoba oil is that skincare superhero that you never knew you needed until you’ve tried it. Jojoba oil helps to nourish and protect any part of the body it comes into contact with.
Jojoba oil is extracted from the seeds of Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) plant and is actually a wax, though it appears as an oil, hence why people call it jojoba oil. What makes jojoba oil the superhero it is, is that it is visibly suitable for any skin type, from dry and sensitive to acne-prone, and has a hand in treating almost any skin concern. Jojoba oil is rich in vitamins A, D, E, plus antioxidants and fatty acids. What makes jojoba oil stand out from the rest of facial oils is its molecular structure that is strikingly similar to our skin’s sebum. This makes it easier for jojoba oil to penetrate the skin beyond the top surface for maximum nourishment and protection. For those with oily skin concerns, don’t fret! Jojoba oil is actually non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog your pores.
Moisturizes dry skin
- The most straightforward benefit of any facial oil is its ability to hydrate the skin by providing a film on the skin to prevent moisture from seeping out and ensuring that the products applied before will be absorbed.
- The star of jojoba oil is its molecular structure that is similar to our natural sebum, making it easier to be absorbed into the skin and actually works to trick our skin from over-producing sebum.
Reveals a brighter inner glow
- By helping to replenish moisture in the skin, jojoba oil can boost your skin’s glow and diminish dullness and dehydration.
- Jojoba oil can be used to treat acne prone skin as it is antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial; containing high amounts of iodine, which can help to target acne-causing bacterial and toxins, preventing future breakouts or can be used as a spot treatment.
Reduces oil production
- Like we said, jojoba oil is easily absorbed into the skin due to its molecular structure and can help reduce excessive sebum production (I know, the irony!) because your skin will feel hydrated and stop sending signals to the skin to produce more oil. This brings your skin back to its balanced and healthy state.
Protects against oxidative stress
- Jojoba oil acts as an antioxidant that protects the skin from free radicals and environmental threats that can lead to oxidative stress due to its vitamin B complex. Oxidative stress is primarily the cause behind skin concerns like premature ageing, dehydration and damaged skin barrier.
- Other than helping ward off and prevent oxidative stress damage, jojoba oil can also treat ageing skin concerns like fine lines and wrinkles and pigmentation.
Heals compromised skin
- People with eczema and very dry skin can find solace in jojoba oil as it helps to calm and soothe irritated skin via its anti-inflammatory and analgesic (able to relieve pain) properties.
- The vitamin E in jojoba oil can also speed up cell regeneration which helps to restore the damaged skin barrier and help recover from sun damage.
Suitable as a makeup remover
- Oils work better at breaking down waterproof makeup. Jojoba oil is a good choice because it is gentle enough to be used around the eye area.
Can be used all over the body
- Because of the fatty acids, antioxidants, oily consistency and hydrating benefits, jojoba oil can help with chronically dry lips.
- Great as a cuticle oil, the antibacterial and antifungal properties adds an extra protective boost against nail infections, as well as softening the skin around the nails.
- Jojoba oil makes a great hair DIY ingredient; hair masks, or even just as a hair oil to strengthen and nourish the hair, prevent split ends, provides heat protection and de-frizz hair.
- There are some studies that show that antifungal properties can help treat and prevent dandruff by calming and moisturizing the scalp.
What to note?
- There are no known side effects to jojoba oil and is safe for all. However, occasionally, it does cause rashes or allergic reactions. So, we advise conducting a patch test prior.
Products we recommend
Introducing the one product that will take care of all your moisturizing needs without leaving a greasy and sticky finish. It can be used as a face/body/hand cream. It is formulated with shea butter, ceramide and jojoba seed oil, packing a strong hydration punch.
A daily facial cleanser that work to deeply cleanse the skin, unclog the pores and control sebum production for all skin types without irritation and stinging sensation. It contains 5 natural oils; Olive Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil and Grapeseed Oil for optimal removal and hydration.
This cleansing oil is formulated with ingredients such as Rice Bran Oil and Jojoba Oil that dissolves impurities found on your skin's surface, remove heavy and waterproof makeup while hydrating the epidermis. It helps to naturally clarify and brighten the skin.
Calm and soothe your complexion with the balancing and skin-soothing formula of Pixi’s Milky Tonic facial toner that provides essential hydration and nourishment. It is infused with Oat Extract to balance and comfort irritated skin. It contains other skin-loving ingredients including jojoba oil for that extra boost of nourishing, soothing and hydrating benefits.
A revitalizing boost for skin that intensely hydrates while it protects and improves elasticity, revealing your natural radiance. Enriched with Rose Flower extract, Jojoba Oil and Aloe Vera that nourishes the skin, while Glycerin traps moisture to the skin for a plumped effect.
A multi-functional item for scalp pack, scalp mask, conditioner and treatment that helps invigorate the scalp by balancing out moisture and soothing and nourishing sensitive scalp leaving your hair to feel soft, silky and shiny. It contains Soybean Seed Extract (hair growth), Hinoki Cypress Extract, Centella Asiatica Leaf Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract and Jojoba Seed Oil to soothe the scalp.
If you have anything to add or ask, feel free to join in conversation below! We’ll gladly answer all questions to the best of our ability and help you in any way we can!