Another flower-power to add to the list
Using flowers in skincare isn’t anything new, in fact, some swear by certain flower extracts as their holy grail. This time, we’re gonna introduce you to another holy botanical ingredient that deserves more light – Lotus. When you think of the word lotus, you probably would immediately think of its pink blooming flower or some religious symbolism like enlightenment or purity. Well, at least that’s how it is for me. But other than relating to a religious symbolism or traditional culture idea, the lotus flower is actually quite revered in the K-Beauty world and in certain medicinal practices.
Lotus flower, aka Nelumbo Nucifera as its scientific name, is an aquatic plant, characterized by its wide umbrella-like leaves and blooming flower head. It is the national flower of India, Vietnam and ancient Egypt as it symbolizes the sun, creation and rebirth. Hence, why it is considered a sacred emblem in Buddhism and Hindu traditions. Therapy wise, the lotus flower has widely used in many traditional medicinal cultures to heal treat fevers, insomnia, gastritis and diarrhea, to name a few.
When it comes to lotus in topical treatments, numerous parts of the flower can be used, such as the flower, seeds, stem, roots and stigma.
Just a fun little fact, although lotus flowers are easily spotted, it is not to be confused with another similar looking aquatic plant, the water lily. I know I didn’t realize the difference either. The difference is small but easily distinguished. The water lily has leaves the float on the surface of the water, whereas the leaves of lotus flowers rise above the water level and are significantly larger.
- Lotus flower/extract is rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, polyphenols and vitamins (Vitamin B complex). The antioxidants help to protect the skin against free radicals and environmental threats like pollution, toxins and UV damage that harms the skin and speeds up the aging skin process.
Firms the skin
- Within its anti-aging benefits, lotus flower/extract is shown to significantly improve skin elasticity and promote collagen production, meaning less wrinkles and fine lines for firmer looking skin. This is due to the potent carbohydrates content, particularly oligosaccharide. Oligosaccharide stimulates cell regeneration and cytokine production – helps maintain the normal function of the skin barrier and collagen, elastin synthesis.
- On top of improving skin texture, lotus flower/extract also improves skin complexion by helping to brighten the skin due to its Vitamin C content – a well-known brightening agent.
- Those with oily and acneic skin will love this! Lotus flower/extract can assist with sebum (oil) and pore control by maintaining sebum production, in turn minimizing the appearance of enlarged pores. This is also great for preventing clogged pores and breakouts – pimples, black & whiteheads.
- Lotus flower/extract owes its anti-inflammatory properties to its rich Vitamin A content. It helps with soothing the skin from redness and irritations and aiding the skin’s healing process.
What to note?
- Like all new ingredients and products, please conduct a patch test prior.
- Anyone with an allergic reaction to lotus flowers should either avoid or be cautious of lotus-infused products.
Products we recommend
This toner gently exfoliates the dead skin of dead skin cells, impurities and acne-causing bacteria for clearer skin. Enriched with centella asiatica, tea tree and other plant extracts to help boost skin’s natural healing procerss and soothe any irritations or inflammation. Further formulated with lotus extract, this toner helps to reduce skin’s production of sebum for less oily skin.
An overnight treatment that targets breakouts with its powerful combination of Vitamin C and E that clears bacteria on the skin, preventing any future breakouts. Also contains salicylic acid that exfoliates and unclog pores, as well as lotus extract to help balance oil on the skin.
A deep cleansing oil formulated with with the purifying power of lotus flower extract that melts and washes away heavy makeup, dirt, fine dust and excess sebum without causing stress to the skin.
This cleansing foam cleans up to 98.8% fine dust. A true micro deep cleansing foam. Formulated using the self-purifying power of lotus flower extract to help remove particulate matter and dirt that may be clogging pores. Inspired by the magnet mechanism, this cleansing foam uses cationic polymer to absorb the particulate matter and kaolin for an extra brightening effect.
I hope this article has helped you in any way and if you have anything to add or ask, feel free to join in conversation below! We’ll gladly answer all questions to the best of our ability and help you in any way we can!