The next upcoming plant extract comes from Centella Asiatica
You’ve most likely heard of Centalla Asiatica, also known as Cica, Tiger Grass or Goto Kola, it might even be your go-to skincare ingredient that you skin dies by. But you’ve probably never heard of madecassoside but we’re here to tell you that you should keep your eyes on this upcoming ingredient! Madecassoside is rich in amino acids, beta carotene, fatty acids and phytochemicals, which can all bring amazing skin benefits.
Madecassoside is one of the core and most active compound found in Centella Asiatica, which is why you may have seen the word madecassoside in certain centella or skin-soothing products’ ingredient list. Unlike Centella Asiatica, madecassoside is still fairly new in the skincare world, however, its effects to help soothe, heal the skin and provide antioxidant protection is highly promising.
Reduces free radicals
- Madecassoside is an antioxidant that helps to reduce free radicals and environmental factors that can damage the skin like pollution or UV rays. By protecting against these 2 major factors, the skin’s barrier will retain its normal functioning and have less skin concerns.
- In helping prevent free radicals and environmental skin damage, madecassoside can help to slow down or even inhibit the process of oxidative stress damage which is a primary reason behind aging skin.
- Madecassoside is also classified as a triterpenoid, which includes other active components found in centella. Triterpenoids work to stimulate the production of Type I and III collagen and circulation in the skin. Helping to preserve a youthful, plump appearance.
Improves skin tone and texture
- Madecassoside can also aid to prevent hyperpigmentation and scarring, particularly scarring that causes raised texture on the skin. This is called hypertrophic scarring.
- Similar to centella, madecassoside soothes and calms any inflammation or irritation. Research suggests that madecassoside can inhibit inflammatory cell messengers called cytokines. These messengers can appear not only during irritation reactions but also acne flare-ups. Which is why madecassoside is highly recommended to those suffering from skin flare-ups, psoriasis and acne.
- Madecassoside can increase the skin’s natural production of hyaluronic acid, hence, the skin being more moisturized from within.
What to note?
- Madecassoside is a well-tolerated ingredient that doesn’t clash with other ingredients. Some studies suggest using madecassoside in conjunction with Vitamin C to boost its antioxidant benefits, or hyaluronic acid to increase its hydrating effects.
Products we recommend and where to find them
My personal holy grail! This cream instantly soothes and recovers damaged skin, this counts for those with sensitive and/or irritated skin. Even those with rosacea. Say thanks to its high content of Centella Asiatica and madecassoside for their skin-rescuing benefits and other hydrating powers like niacinamide and shea butter.
Similar to the product above, this colour-correcting treatment cream is recommended for day-time use with its added SPF40. This product helps to cover and soothe any inflammation or redness with its slight green tint that gives your skin a toned-up effect. Don’t want to wear makeup but want glowy skin, a layer of this is all you need.
A skin soothing must-have for me. Enriched with madecassoside, panthenol and other anti-bacterial agents, this multi-purpose balm soothes, nourishes and protects irritated skin to aid the recovery of barrier function. Another plus point is that this balm is safe to use for all skin types and ages. Yes, babies and children can use this as well.
Protect and repair your skin with this Cica Cream that is hypoallergic making it suitable for sensitive skin. It is formulated with Centella Asiatica, Madecassoside and D-Panthenol to protect and restores the skin’s barrier for healthier and stronger skin.
Suitable for those with sensitive and oily skin! This hydrating, lightweight jelly-like moisturizer is formulated with snow (or white) fungus, amino acids and madecassoside to soothes, calms and reduces the appearance of redness, while providing an instant cooling sensation after application.
Enriched with 42% Centella Asiatica extract and Madecassoside compounds, this lightweight, fast-absorbing ampoule delivers immediate, pure hydration for red, angry skin. Helping to provide moisture and calm sensitive and acneic skin.
I hope this has helped you in any way and if you have anything to add or ask, feel free to join in conversation below! We’ll gladly answer all questions to the best of our ability and help you in any way we can!