The star anti-wrinkle ingredient on the market
Anti-aging has become such an imperative part of the skincare industry with more and more brands innovating the next the breakthrough ingredient or product to make them stand out from the rest. However, as this continues to happen, the list of anti-aging ingredients piles up and becomes harder and more confusing for consumers to make sense of them all. One of the popular anti-aging wrinkle-fighting star ingredient is Matrixyl but what exactly is it and what does it do?
Matrixyl is a peptide, Palmitoyl-Pentapeptide 4 is its exact scientific name. Now, you might be asking what is a peptide? Well, peptides are a combination of 2 or more amino acids that are joined together by peptide bonds and are the building blocks of protein. They naturally exist in our skin, an example of this is Collagen. Comparing peptides to other collagen topical treatments, peptides are better as they are easier to be absorbed into the skin at a cellular level, whereas conventional collagen proteins can’t be directly absorbed through the top layers of the skin.
What makes Matrixyl stand out is its long-lasting effect unlike other anti-wrinkle ingredients that results only last a short while after application. There are currently 3 variations of Matrixyl;
- The 1st is Matrixyl which contains only Palmitoyl-Pentapeptide 4.
- The 2nd is Matrixyl 3000 which contains a combination of Palmitoyl-Pentapeptide (or Oligopeptide) plus Palmitoyl-Tetrapeptide. Matrixyl 3000 is considered to be the most popular and effective polypeptide combination in the skincare industry as it has more research and testimonials backing it up, though this not mean that the others don’t work.
- The newest version is Matrixyl Synthe’6 which contains Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38.
Promotes collagen synthesis
- Matrixyl specifically targets and stimulates collagen production to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, resulting in firmer, smoother and overall younger looking skin.
Strengthens skin barrier
- Enhanced collagen production also aids the skin’s repair process and strengthens the skin’s barrier, making the skin less prone to pro-irritant mediators and other harmful toxins.
Better moisture retention
- Depleting collagen in the body often causes skin dehydration, so when the skin is producing more collagen, this boosts the hydration levels in the skin.
- Matrixyl can also boost the skin’s natural production of hyaluronic acid.
- Antioxidants can also be found in peptides and these antioxidants work to calm and soothe any inflammation or irritation. This is particularly accurate for Matrixyl 3000.
What to note?
- It is best to avoid using any peptides (all Matrixyl) with direct acids and always refer to the product’s packaging as different products will have different ingredient contradictions.
- Also, please do conduct a patch test prior, especially those with sensitive skin.
Products we recommend
We all know that The Ordinary will always have our backs when it comes to producing effective and affordable skincare, especially when it comes to using potent formulations and keeping them at a low price.
Buffet: Consists of a multi-technology peptide, amino acids complexes and hyaluronic acid complexes that works to target multiple signs of ageing all at once. The Matrixyl 3000 and Matrixyl Synthe'6 stimulates collagen production, the amino acids nourishes the skin, while the hyaluronic acid delivers much needed hydration.
Buffet + Copper Peptides 1%: Similar to the Buffet, this Buffet + Copper Peptides consists an extra 1% Copper Peptides that helps to improve the overall skin health by penetrating the dermis and figuring any cell imbalances and helping to communicate better with your skincare products.
Matrixyl 10% + HA: Unlike the Buffet and Buffet + Copper Peptides 1%, this serum focuses entirely on wrinkle-fighting as it Is formulated with 2 variations of Matrixyl - Matrixyl 3000 and Matrixyl Synthe'6. Further supported by a hyaluronic acid delivery system allows the Matrixyl to penetrate deeper into the skin, as well as provide that boost of hydration.
I hope this blog has helped you understand Matrixyl that little bit more and introduced you to products you never knew existed. If you have any questions, feel free to join the conversation below and we'll do our best to answer them!