Oats are hearty for both the body and skin!
Oatmeal for breakfast is considered a staple for many, even me. The health benefits of oats aren’t new and have been around for years. Oats are a common ingredient in many health and diet plans as they are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals, are gluten-free, and help to lower blood sugar and reduce future health risks. But the benefits of oats don’t stop there. Oats are also extremely beneficial to the skin when applied topically. In the skincare world, oats have long been used and recognized to treat multiple skin conditions and concerns, especially eczema, rosacea, dryness and more.
In the market, Colloidal oatmeal is the most commonly used and seen. Colloidal oatmeal refers to oat grains that are ground and milled as a whole into a fine powder and later boiled or steamed into an extract. Colloidal oatmeal is widely chosen due to its extracting process that allows the extract to retain its skin-benefitting goodness, the proteins, minerals, enzymes and vitamins. Also, the liquid formulation that it takes makes it easier to be absorbed into the skin when formulated into a topical treatment.
Now you may have started to see an increase in Oat related ingredients, one being Oat milk. But what is Oat milk? Oat milk is very much similar to Colloidal oatmeal in terms of their extraction process, the key difference is that the final product contains lactic acid which is an AHA that can help provide exfoliating effects.
Moisturizes the skin
- Oats are a great ingredient to help treat dryness, flaking skin or itchiness as they are rich in proteins and lipids like polysaccharides, and has emollient properties that prevent moisture loss by keeping moisture in the skin.
- Oats contain Vitamin E which is anti-inflammatory and is suitable for people with sensitive or chronic skin condition like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea and more. It can also soothe and calm any skin discomfort that comes along with these conditions.
- Oats also contain antioxidants that protect against free radicals and environmental stressors by forming a protective barrier on the surface. On top of that, oats are also rich in flavonoids, ferulic and caffeic acid which help to absorb UV rays and further protect the skin from harmful chemicals.
Helps balance pH levels
- Oats can help achieve the skin’s optimal pH levels if it has been increased due to a damaged skin barrier of after using certain products and/or ingredients.
- The presence of saponins in oats allows it to provide a gentle cleansing and exfoliation to the skin without over-stripping the skin’s natural moisture.
- Also, oats contain avenacins which is antifungal, meaning it can help those with acneic skin to reduce acne-causing bacteria.
Evens out skin complexion
- Oats can also contribute to clearer and more even looking skin tone by reducing age spots, scarring any other skin discoloration.
What to note?
- Although oats is a gentle and mild ingredient, we still advise customers to conduct a patch test prior when trying a new ingredient and product.
Products we recommend and where to find them
Enriched with Oatmeal extract, this lightweight, cooling moisturizer quench your skin’s thrust with a boost of hydration. Although a cream, this moisturizer is suitable for combination and oily skin types as it is quickly absorbed into the skin and won’t leave any oily residue.
Double cleansing is SO important and often we forget about it. This cleansing balm containing 3% Oat Kernel oil and 1% Oat Kernal powder helps remove makeup, impurities and cleanses sensitive skin. It helps to soothe the skin, reduce redness and maintain moisture levels in the skin. A 10 out of 10.
This milky-enriched toner works to balance, hydrate and soothe the skin of any irritation or discomfort. It is infused with Oat extract and other botanicals like Jojoba, Rose, Lavender and more that provides hydration and nourishment to the skin.
Although the main ingredient of this brightening moisturizer is Tumeric, it also contains Oat Kernal Flour for the extra hydrating and soothing effects.
Made with a blend of conditioning oils, particularly 10% Tamanu oil, this creamy serum helps treat damaged skin barrier that results in irritation, discoloration, breakouts and more. This serum also contains Oat Kernal Flour that contributes to the soothing and healing effects of this serum.
Simple Regeneration Age Resisting line
Simple’s Regeneration Age Resisting products are all formulated with pro-Vitamin B5, Vitamin E, Mushroom Extract, Oat-Beta Glucan and Green Tea Extract, which helps to moisturize, soften and tone the skin and helps fight the signs of premature ageing.
A household brand for body lotions. Aveeno body lotions are all formulated with Colloidal Oatmeal (unless stated otherwise on the product) and other rich emollients that prevents and protects dry skin for up to 24 hours. All of their body lotions are suitable for all skin types, especially sensitive skin, eczema, psoriasis and etc. Click here for Aveeno!
I hope this blog has helped you in any way and if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below and we'll do our best to get back to you!