A branch of the Vitamin B tree - Panthenol. Here's why your skin needs Panthenol.
When it comes to hydrating ingredients the few commonly mentioned and constantly raved about are hyaluronic acid and maybe even ceramides. But there is one that needs to make its way onto your list – Panthenol. You may or may not have heard about panthenol but it’s actually starting to make its presence known amongst many skincare enthusiasts and can actually be found in many skincare products, particularly those hydrating and moisturizing products.
Panthenol, also known as pro-Vitamin B5, is the alcohol form of Vitamin B5 that takes its form and effect when absorbed into our skin by converting itself into panthotenic acid. Fun fact, panthotenic acid is a naturally occurring substance that can be found in our body. It also has other pseudonyms which is why many aren’t aware of their existance, such as panthothenic acid, butanamide and d-panthothenyl alcohol. So, if you’re looking for a product with panthenol, these are just a few of the names you might wanna keep an eye out on.
Increases moisture levels
- Panthenol is a humectant and emollient ingredient meaning it attracts moisture to the skin and helps the skin lock in that moisture, preventing it from escaping the skin throughout the day or what is known as TEWL (transepidermal water loss).
Speeds up the healing process
- Panthenol is also a great ingredient that promotes the skin’s natural healing process. It works by strengthening the skin to be more resilient against internal and external stressors, as well as stimulating the production of new skin cells.
Soothes the skin
- Panthenol is also anti-inflammatory as it provides a protective barrier on the skin’s surface which not only prevents water-loss but also protects against external pro-irritants like UV rays or pollution.
- Panthenol is often found in products used to treat sunburns, irritated, itching skin and in general compromised skin.
Improves skin texture
- By building a protective barrier and aiding the healing process, the skin’s texture will improve and appear to be more supple and smoother over continuous use as the skin cells are stronger and healthier.
Not only beneficial for the skin
- Panthenol is also a fantastic moisturizing ingredient for your hair, nails and just over the entire body which is why it can be found in a variety of products.
What to note?
- As with all new ingredients and products, we advise people to conduct a patch test 24-48 hours prior to full-face and/or body application.
Products we recommend and where to find them
This product by COSRX is highly recommended as it contains 10% D-panthenol that works to strengthen the skin’s barrier, as well as soothe and hydrate contributing to healthier and more hydrated skin.
A fave and a must for cold climates, sensitive and dry skin. Enriched with Madecassoside and Panthenol that repairs, soothes and hydrates the skin for all occasions. It is also antibacterial, perfect for aiding the skin healing process to prevent further infection and irritation.
Extremely affordable!! Malaysia-made, this panthenol serum is made with 5% D-panthenol that helps calm irritated skin, improve skin health for better moisture retention and texture.
Hydration power at its best. This moisture-power serum by COSRX is enriched with 2 powerful hydrating ingredients – Hyaluronic acid and Panthenol. It leaves the skin feeling and looking more supple and moisturized.
This serum includes up to almost 17% Amino acids that enhances the skin’s barrier support and improves the skin’s elasticity. Formulated with another 5% Panthenol that provides deep and surface-level hydration, while aiding the skin’s healing process. In all resulting in plumper and healthier looking skin.
Perfect for all skin types, especially sensitive skin. This cica-infused moisturizer by COSRX is hypoallergenic that also includes madecassoside and D-panthenol that delivers intense hydration whilst also restoring the skin’s barrier.
Providing the skin with just the “basics” in this stellar moisturizer. Sometimes your skin doesn’t need the most, rather the least and this moisturizer hits the sweet spot. Enriched with Green Tea and Panthenol for deep hydration that gives a light finish. It also has Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract that provides antioxidant and soothing care.
All in all, panthenol is definitely an ingredient that anyone can give a try as it is gentle and suitable for virtually almost all skin types. It hydrates, repairs, soothes and supports the skin’s overall health, as well as improving the skin’s texture. If you’re curious about anything, feel free to leave a comment down below and we’ll do our best to get back to you.