All you need to know about Peptides!
Skincare ingredients are getting more complex by the minute. Natural ingredients are easy to understand and comprehend but synthetic ingredients with scientific names are a whole different story. Just trying to pronounce them correctly is considered a feat. With technologies and formulation evolving, newer ingredients increase but that doesn’t mean all of them will work for your skin. This doesn’t mean you have to go out there and try everything. What’s important is knowing your skin and its needs, understanding the benefits of ingredients and pairing that knowledge up to find the ingredient that ticks those boxes.
Now, our ingredient of the day is Peptides, also known as polypeptides. Peptides are made up off short amino acids that build up much needed proteins by the skin. Peptides are often said and boasted to help increase collagen production. This is because collagen is comprised of 3 polypeptide chains.
There are hundred different kinds of peptides but not all of them function and benefit the skin the same way.
- Carrier peptides: Works to deliver trace minerals to the skin to increase collagen.
- Enzyme inhibitor peptides: Works to slow down the degradation of collagen.
- Signal peptides: Sends signals to the skin to enhance collagen, elastin and other proteins, production.
- Neurotransmitter peptides: Inhibits the muscle contraction that causes fine lines and wrinkles. Often touted to have “Botox-like” effects.
But there are 2 types that are more commonly seen and used in skincare and they both have different functions.
- Tetrapeptides: Made up of 6 amino acids. Brightening benefits.
- Hexapeptides: Made up of 4 amino acids. Boost skin firmness and elasticity.
Firms the skin
- Unlike typical collagen-infused skincare products, peptides work better as it can penetrate deeper into the skin, into the cellular level and signaling the cells to produce more collagen. Resulting in less wrinkles, fine lines and overall plumper looking skin.
Evens out skin tone and complexion
- Peptides help with evening out discolored skin tone and rough skin texture, contributing to brighter and smoother skin.
Strengthens skin barrier
- Peptides acts as messengers to tell the cells to produce more collagen. By doing so, it also enhances the skin’s protective barrier. Protecting against UV rays, pollution and harmful chemicals.
Improves skin’s hydration
- The lack of collagen production in the skin often leads to dehydration, with more collagen also means increased moisture levels.
Repairs damaged skin
- Peptides possess anti-inflammatory properties that ease inflammation and repair damaged skin.
What to note?
- Peptides are still considered to be fairly new in the skincare market. And although it is said to have anti-aging benefits, there isn’t enough research to prove its efficacy against powerhouse ingredients like retinol/retinoids and hydroxy acids.
- Peptides are relatively compatible with most ingredients, the only ingredient to stay clear from is AHAs as the low pH level can decrease the effectiveness of peptides.
- Always conduct a patch test prior to application.
Products we recommend and where to find them
The INKEY List
Peptide Moisturizer: An AM and PM moisturizer formulated with a peptide duo that supports the production and retention of natural collagen and helps to hydrate the skin.
Hepta-Peptide Serum: Perfect for anti-aging, this serum combines a 7-sequence peptide that. promotes skin cell renewal and targets fine lines and wrinkles, providing an instant blurring effect.
Buffet: A much needed anti-aging product. Helping to plump up fine lines and wrinkles, nourishes the skin, contributing to a younger-looking and healthier appearance.
Buffet + Copper Peptides 1%: The difference between “Buffet” is the added copper peptides that focuses on supporting the overall skin health by helping the cells communicate better and fixing cell irregularities.
Matrixyl 10% + HA: The fountain of youth. Matrixyl stimulates collagen production, enhances skin repair function and reduces any signs of sagging.
Proudly Malaysian! Really affordable product and formulation. This serum helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines by booting elastin and collagen production.
Formulated with Green Tea, ferment extracts, ceramides and peptides, this serum delivers antioxidant care and improves skin regeneration and anti-aging solution. It is great for those with combination to oily skin as it doesn’t have an oily finish.
The infamous “Red Jar” considered Olay’s go-to anti-aging product. It uses their unique Skin Energizing Technology which includes amino peptides, hyaluronic acid and vitamin B3. This moisturizer repairs skin damage diminishes fine lines and wrinkles from day 1. This product is also available in night cream formula for an overnight skin nourishment.
This anti-aging moisturizer is specially formulated to plump deep wrinkles, redefine facial contours for a lifting effect. It contains Magnolol, Oligo Peptides, Hyaluronic Acid and SPF 15 for UV protection.
I hope this blog has helped broaden your understanding about peptides, even if its just a little. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to leave a comment down below and we'll get back to you!