Flower power! The power of Primrose for healthier and radiant skin
Primrose, also goes by Evening Primrose, is extracted from the seeds of the evening primrose plant (Oenothera biennis). What is special about the evening primrose flower is that it only blooms at night and once every 2 years. Primrose is widely used in skincare for its ability to treat chronic skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, as well as providing other benefits like improving skin texture and moisture levels. Therefore, getting its name “King’s Cure-All” as it has been traditionally used to treat a variety of illnesses and wounds.
The benefits of primrose are all thanks to the essential fatty acids and glycerides present such as linoleic acid (omega-6), gamma-linolenic acid (omega-6), omega-9 acid and stearic acid. Essential fatty acids are important because they can’t be naturally produced by our body, hence, we have to get them from sources like our diet, oral supplements or topical applications for beauty purposes.
Strengthens skin barrier
- Primrose helps to nourish and reinforce the skin’s protective layer and improve the skin’s overall health.
Better moisture levels
- By strengthening the skin’s barrier, it can prevent moisture loss and help the skin better retain moisture throughout the day. This means lesser chances of suffering from dehydrated skin and less patchy/scaly skin.
- Primrose is suitable to be used by those with eczema and psoriasis but beware of other ingredients in topical treatments that can cause reactions.
Balances oil production
- A healthier skin barrier and better moisture retention in the skin contributes to better regulated sebum production as the skin will no longer send dehydration signals to the oil glands.
Soothes the skin
- Linoleic acid and gamma-linolenic acids also has anti-inflammatory properties that can calm inflammation by irritation and/or acne and promote skin healing function.
- Both omega-6 and omega-9 (linoleic acid, gamma-linolenic acid and oleic acid) are great anti-aging ingredients as it has antioxidants properties that protect the skin from oxidative stress damage and environmental threats. They also help maintain the skin’s suppleness and elasticity, resulting in softer and smoother skin.
Helps to cleanse the skin
- Primrose also contains stearic acid that possesses cleansing properties that clear buildup, dirt and excess sebum from the skin which can benefit acne-prone skin.
- It can also better help the skin absorb other ingredients for best efficacy.
What to note?
- There aren’t any notable side effects of using primrose and it is suitable for all skin types. However, as with all ingredients and products, all skin reacts differently and may not benefit you as it does with others.
- As with all new ingredients and products, we advise to conduct a patch test prior to application.
Products we recommend and where to find them
A signature product to the LANEIGE brand. This overnight mask consists of active ingredients such as Hydro Ion Mineral Water, Hunza Apricots extracts, Evening Primrose Root extracts and more to give your skin that well-rested, glowing look the next morning.
This sleeping mask by Mamonde is formulated with a flower oil complex consisting of Evening Primrose oil, Camellia oil and Sunflower oil for an intensive overnight moisture care that lets you wake up to a healthier, more radiant skin.
This is a 2-in-1 cleanser that optimizes your PM double, or you could say triple cleansing step. One side contains a solid cleansing balm while the other side contains a thick cleansing cream that nourishes the skin as it cleanses. The solid cleansing balm is formulated with Vitamin E, Camellia Oil and Evening Primrose Oil. Whereas, the cleansing cream is formulated with Vitamin C, Peptide complex and Arginine.
If you have any questions or anything else to add, feel free to leave a comment down below and we’ll do our best to get back to you!