Another bzzzzing ingredient that is making its way to your skincare routine
Bee related products have been all the rave in skincare like honey, beeswax and royal jelly but there’s another bee-related ingredient that you absolutely need to add to your skincare regime this instant! And that is Propolis. Propolis has recently seen an increasing use in skincare thanks to its skin healing properties but what is propolis?
Propolis has been around for centuries, used for medicinal purposes to help wounds, burns or rashes as it is antibacterial and antifungal which prevents infections. Propolis is used by bees to create their nests. It is a waxy substance, sometimes called “bee-glue”, that is formed by the combination of tree sap plus beeswax. Propolis contains balsam - bioactive properties that possess antioxidants and polyphenols. Compared to honey, another bee ingredient, honey is made from the nectar of flower/plants and is a source of food for bees, whilst propolis is used as protection for their homes.
Read on more to find out the benefits of propolis!
- The main benefit of propolis is its ability to heal wounds and speed up the healing process as it is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal. Propolis stimulates the skin turnover rate, in turn preventing bacterial infections.
- Propolis can also be used to treat sunburns for whenever you stayed out under the sun for too long.
Treats everything acne
- Propolis is a popular ingredient for acne-prone skin as it helps with the aftermath of breakouts (scarring, discoloration) by evening out the skin tone and texture.
- The antibacterial properties of propolis can fight acne-causing bacteria, preventing future breakouts.
Soothes the skin
- Propolis is anti-inflammatory and is suitable for all skin types, even chronic skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It reduces inflammation, irritation and redness promoting overall skin health.
Improve skin condition
- Other than soothing and healing the skin, topical applications of propolis can help better your skin texture and complexion, making it smoother and plumper.
Increase moisture levels
- Propolis can increase the skin’s moisture levels and even be used by oily skin as it can help regulate sebum production.
- Propolis contains antioxidants like flavonoids that tackle free radicals and environmental threats, most notably against UV rays and preventing oxidative stress which is known to cause premature aging.
What to note?
- Although propolis can help to treat acne, it doesn’t mean it’s a substitute for medical grade topical applications that are necessary for certain acne conditions.
- As with all new ingredients and products, there is a risk of sustaining an allergic/sensitivity reaction. Hence, we advise you to conduct a patch test either at the back of your ear or on your inner forearm for 24-48 hours before applying on the face.
Products we recommend and where to find them
Full Fit Propolis is formulated with COSRX’s Full Fit Pro Complex that consists of black bee propolis extract, honey extract and royal jelly extract. All 3 are well-known to be anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and rich with antioxidants! Your skin will thank you!
- Synergy Toner: This toner contains 72.6% black bee propolis extract and 10% honey extract that delivers anti-inflammatory/antibacterial/recovering/enhanced immunity benefits! Although a toner, it has a slight essence-like texture that sinks effortlessly into your skin.
- Ampoule: COSRX’s best-selling ampoule! Made with 83.25% black bee propolis extract, this ampoule promises to heal stressed skin and reduce any redness.
- Light Cream: A lightweight moisturizer that is infused with 65.69% black bee propolis extract and is great for all skin types. It has a gel-like consistency that is easily absorbed into the skin, perfect for Malaysia’s weather.
- Nourishing Magnet Sheet Mask: Perfect for when your skin needs a quick and effective skin fix! This sheet mask features a specially designed honeycomb structure to better hold and deliver the ampoule to your skin.
Unlike the Full Fit Propolis Light Cream, this moisturizer isn’t all bee. It contains Vitamin B5, Ceramides and Propolis that helps the skin better retain moisture for long-lasting hydration.
This moisturizing toner pad is formulated with Hyaluronic Acid, Propolis and BHA. Using this can help to improve the skin absorb the ingredients, as well as helping to remove irritants and dead skin cells.
Not only a mask, this product features a 3-in-1 use. It can be an overnight mask, a wash off mask and even a moisturizer. It is enriched with Honey, Natural Beeswax and 87% Propolis Extract for intense hydration!
An aloe-vera gel moisturizer that also contains 10% propolis extract for intense soothing hydration. It can also help to regulate sebum production, keeping oiliness to a minimum. Not only that, this moisturizer helps to calm and control spots by relieving aggravated breakouts.
iUNIK Propolis Vitamin
Synergy Serum: Formulated with 70% Propolis extract, 12% Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract (Vitamin C) and Niacinamide this serum offers instant calming, brightening and lifting effects.
Sleeping Mask: Infused with 16% Propolis, Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract (Vitamin C), Cica, Seaberry Extract and other skin-benefitting ingredients for an intensive hydration and nourishment for brighter and clearer skin when you wake up.
Another bee-related ingredient to add to your watchlist. I hope this blog has piqued an interest in Propolis and if it has, YAY! If you have any questions, leave a comment down below and we’ll do our best to get back to you.