Here's everything you need to know about the skin benefits of this striking yellow flower.
We’re all very familiar with this next flower-power ingredient. It’s one of the most commonly seen and mentioned flowers out there. Sunflowers aren’t just a decorative piece in the house or bouquet, they actually possess quite an array of benefits when developed in skincare.
Sunflower, also referred to as Helianthus Annuus Flowers, has long been used as a natural remedy for medicinal and beauty purposes due to its ability to nourish and protect the skin from pro-irritants. Sunflower is often formulated in 2 ways, either Sunflower extract or Sunflower Seed oil, with the latter being more common. Read on more to find out the benefits of this sun-loving flower.
- Sunflower oil is an emollient that closely resembles our skin’s natural oil as it is rich in linoleic acid, a fatty acid found in our skin’s sebum. It hydrates and plumps the skin and helps the skin better retain moisture, preventing TEWL (trans-epidermal water loss) and improve the skin barrier function.
Protects the skin from oxidative stress
- Sunflower is rich in antioxidants like vitamin E, A, C K and D. These antioxidants fight off free radicals and environmental stress like UV rays and pollutants that can cause premature aging due to oxidative stress damage.
Slows down signs of aging
- By minimizing the damages from oxidative stress, it slows down signs of aging including fine lines, wrinkles and dullness.
- Sunflower has the ability to soothe compromised and irritated skin, as well as alleviating redness caused by dryness or a sensitive reaction.
Won’t clog your pores
- This is specifically for sunflower oil. Sunflower oil is a non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog and block pores and reduces the chances of breakouts.
What to note?
- As with all new ingredients and products, we advise people to conduct a patch test 24-48 hours prior to application in case of an allergic reaction.
Products we recommend and where to find them
Enriched with up to 68% Rice extract, this 3-in-1 mask delivers intense nourishment and helps the skin’s clarity and texture. It also contains Sunflower Seed oil for added hydration, as well as helping to brighten the skin.
Sunscreen is a MUST! This sunscreen is extremely lightweight, doesn’t dry out the skin and is also sweat proof. It works to provide protection from UVA, UVB and IRA rays, defending the skin from photoaging and dehydration.
The main ingredient of this sleeping mask is Evening Primrose that nourishes the hydrates the skin. But it also contains a flower oil complex made that includes Camellia and Sunflower oil for an added moisturizing effect.
This cleansing oil is enriched with up to 94% natural oils from 6 botanicals – Calendula, Jojoba, Canola. Queensland nut, Cananga odorata flower and sunflower seed oil. It provides deep cleansing of all impurities, makeup and dirt all with one wash. It is suitable for sensitive skin and will hydrate the skin even during the wash.
Sunflowers are loved by those with sensitive, dry skin as it nourishes and hydrates the skin like no other. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment down below and we’ll do our best to get back to you.